Potato Cauliflower Soup
* 1 teaspoon ground cumin
* 1 teaspoon olive oil
* 1 cup cubed French or Italian bread
* 2 teaspoons olive oil
* 1/3 cup finely chopped shallots
* 1/3 cup finely chopped celery
* 2 1/2 cups sliced cauliflower (about 1/2 small cauliflower)
* 3/4 pound sliced peeled Yukon gold potato
* 2 (14-ounce) cans fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
* 1 teaspoon lemon juice
* 2 teaspoons chopped chives (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. To prepare croutons, combine cumin and 1 teaspoon oil in a bowl; add
bread cubes, and toss to coat. Spread bread cubes on a baking sheet. Bake
at 350° for 10 minutes or until golden. Cool croutons slightly; set aside.
3. To prepare soup, heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large saucepan over medium
heat. Add shallots and celery; cover and cook 2 minutes. Stir in cauliflower,
potato, broth, salt, and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and
simmer 15 to 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add lemon juice.
Place vegetable mixture, in batches, in a food processor; process until
smooth. Divide soup evenly among 4 bowls; serve with croutons, and top
with chives, if desired.
Makes 4 (1 1/2 cup Servings)